Thursday, 13 October 2005

Progress, but slowly

It's been ages since I posted. A few weeks passed where nothing happened on the boat, and then when something did I had to get hold of a camera.

The centre case went in. Those cross pieces are where we are putting the thwart. The side seats will extend to the front edge of those, and we'll put an end on them forward of bulkhead five.

Here you can see our mast step and the bracing on the forward end of the centre case.

The first and second planks from the stern are on. And the third stringer now.

I-love that stepped scarf.

Here's the glue part of stich and glue, with the cove and fiberglass tape applied.

And here's one I need to get to.

We've hit on a system now. I do the epoxying, Zac removes the excess once it dries, and Dad nuts out the fiddly bits. They give me a bit of flack for apparently being too liberal in my use of bog. (It's not so much around the area I'm gluing, it's the tools that really gets them. When things don't work quite right and the epoxy hits the fan (just when it's starting to cure) you seem to end up gluing other things (like hair).)

I remember when I was little (OK, younger! (for the unacquainted, I'm five foot three and a half)) someone asked my grandfather if I was any good at painting. He said, 'Depends what you mean by good. He does more than he's asked.'

Epoxy really does go the second mile.